Thinking outside the box beats border queues
- Priority Freight overcame hurdles to deliver within 15-hours despite extensive delays at Calais caused by post-Brexit simulation
- Constant communication and contingency planning key to delivering service excellence
- Production line halt avoided due to dedicated logistics specialists
Priority Freight was recently put to the test when faced with 12-hour delays at Calais which saw the team provide an emergency time-critical solution when called upon by an automotive manufacturer requiring next day delivery of key components from Germany to Birmingham.
In the lead up to Brexit, French customs officials simulated post-Brexit working practices by checking road freight going through Calais, which caused considerable delays, with one reported case of a 23-hour wait.
The multilingual experts at Priority Freight monitored the situation closely, utilising online data and close relationships with carriers to receive on the ground information. This extensive knowledge was relayed to the client and allowed an informed decision regarding their consignment to be made.
Knowing delays by road were inevitable, Priority Freight supplied the client with a contingency plan following their mission to provide the fastest, most cost-effective and reliable solution. The client decided to split the consignment by urgency which saw half the components air freighted to Birmingham to keep the production line moving.
With the solution agreed, the shipment was immediately diverted to Frankfurt airport, where the first half of components were flown to Birmingham, arriving at the production plant ahead of schedule. The remainder of the shipment continued by road with Priority Freight tracking and providing regular updates to the client.
The client was delighted with Priority Freight’s rapid response time, in-depth knowledge and constant communication that enabled their production line to continue and booked a similar solution for the next day. This consignment highlights Priority Freight’s determination and ability to exceed client expectations even during uncertain times.
Working around the clock, the team:
- Provided total visibility and control to the client by ensuring they received regular updates relating to their consignment’s journey
- Displayed flexibility and out-of-the-box thinking when faced with long delays caused by post-Brexit simulation, delivering the urgent components ahead of schedule
- Used strong network relationships to recommend the fastest, most cost-effective and reliable solution to meet the client’s requirements