Celebrating National Manufacturing Day
The Beating Heart of the UK Economy
There is much to celebrate about UK manufacturing, the 11th largest manufacturing nation in the world. With over 2.6 million employees, it contributes 10% of GVA and 44% of total exports.
Manufacturing is Growing
Automotive is a key aspect of the overall UK manufacturing sector. The industry is achieving record growth, creating thousands of jobs and attracting major investment. With the most productive automotive labour market in the EU, there are over 3,000 companies involved in the UK automotive sector, ranging from luxury car manufacturers such as Bentley, Jaguar Land Rover and Rolls-Royce, to construction equipment makers such as JCB.
A car rolls off the UK production line every 20 seconds – making it the third largest car manufacturer in Europe, after Germany and Spain.
- More than 550 UK members of SMMT
- £6bn investment in past two years
- 2.6 million cars registered in the UK 2013
- Two out of the top 10 selling cars for 2013, the Vauxhall Astra (4th) and the Nissan Qashqai (6th), are made in the UK, while the Ford Fiesta was the UK’s best selling car
- 1.58m vehicles (81% exported) and 2.5m engines (62% exported) made in the UK last year
- 2,350 automotive suppliers in UK, employing 82,000 people
- Typically £55bn annual turnover
Described by the Government as a ‘phenomenal success story’, the UK boasts the largest aerospace sector in Europe and second only to the US worldwide, with “tremendous opportunities for growth”:
- Over 100,000 jobs in UK Aerospace
- ADS has over 850 members
- £24.2bn annual earnings
- £12.4bn revenue
- 75% of turnover to export markets
- 17% global market share
“No one should be in any doubt about just how essential Britain’s manufacturing industry remains to our country’s continued success.” (Former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg). No matter how great the business strategy, a successful company is only as good as its supply chain.
Priority Freight provides contingency logistics solutions and gives security to your supply chain. As your strategic partner, we are there 24/7 to help you to meet complex and urgent logistic challenges worldwide. Take a look how Priority Freight has supported both the automotive and aerospace manufacturing industries.